What is IV Nutrient Therapy?
Intravenous nutrient therapy is the process of giving vital nutrients to the body via the bloodstream. Depending on the intent and the nutrients to be injected, it can take from 10 minutes to 3 hours to accomplish this. It is painless, except for the insertion of the tiny needle into the vein, a needle smaller than that typically used for an average blood draw in a doctor’s office.
Why give IV Nutrient Therapy?
IV nutrient therapy is a way of getting vitamins, amino acids, minerals and other nutrients into the bloodstream quickly, where higher concentrations are wanted than the gastrointestinal tract can assimilate. Using IV route of administration of allows tissues of the body that have the most need for specific nutrients, to get the maximum concentration.
What are the benefits of IV Nutrient Therapy?
- IV nutrient therapy has been prescribed for decades for people with heart disease and claudication, heavy metal toxicity, intestinal malabsorption, post operative wound healing, especially where circulation is compromised, viral infections, diabetes and cancer (where in particular, vitamin C for improved natural killer cell function and cancer cell apoptosis is desired.)
- The Myer’s Cocktail itself, (a combination of vitamins C, B6, B5, B12 and B complex as well as the minerals calcium and magnesium), boosts the immune system booster in circumstances of chronic infections such as Lyme disease, Epstein Barr and hepatitis C. It is also important in management of fibromyalgia, asthma, depression, anxiety, insomnia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and allergic reactions.
- IV Vitamin C along can be an important adjunctive therapy in treating cancer. Numerous studies have shown that Vitamin C at very high doses intravenously act as a chemotherapeutic agent specific to cancer cells and not to normal healthy cells. Conventional chemotherapy along with IV Vitamin C therapy increases survival rate of cancer patients and is significantly more effective in reducing tumor size than chemotherapy on its own. Dr. Sierra has worked with many individuals with chronic and recurring cancers, through weekly administration of high dose vitamin C, K3, R lipoic acid, DMSO and glutathione to name a few substances. She has worked in concert with recommendations from the Seattle Cancer Treatment and Wellness Center in establishing protocols for these patients.
- In Parkinson’s disease, IV glutathione nutrient therapies are used to decrease the progress of the disease and to diminish symptoms including tremors. The same nutrient is very helpful in raising serotonin in depression.
- Botanical or herbal medicines are sometimes combined in an IV solution to treat infections including hepatitis C . In particular, extracts of licorice specially prepared for IV administration, can be very helpful, along with EDTA for improved circulation.
- IV chelating agents and minerals are indicated in heavy metal toxicity. These include EDTA, DMSO and DMPS.
- Phosphatidylcholine intravenously has been successfully for the treatment of high cholesterol and neurological conditions. In Europe this is called Plaque X treatment, and it is often paired with EDTA chelation.
How does it work?
IV nutrients reach higher concentrations than oral supplementation, creating the concentrations that allow active transport of the nutrients into every cell rapidly and efficiently, thus stimulating your cells to achieve optimal health.
Examples where IV nutrient repletion leads to a rapid improvements in health are: improving the metabolism, supporting liver and whole body detoxification, improving neurologic function with usage of glutathione in alzheimers and parkinsons, and removal of plaque in arteries for improved circulation.
Methow Valley Wellness Center offers various IV nutrient protocols including but not limited to:
- Amino Acids
- Vitamin C/Vitamin K3
- Myer’s Cocktail
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Chelating agents, such as EDTA and DMPS